Monday, March 19, 2007

Ninja Jones Japanese Restaurant, Northpoint

Fat Boy Bakes' posts on Isthmus made me dreamt of it day and night. Since so many dishes came highly recommended, I cannot possibly go alone or in a pair, right? Finally got myself included into a small group of regular foodies who wanted to try it out. With much anticipation, we braved the Midvalley traffic and found it .. closed. It was a Sunday.

But fear not! The 'saviour' lies opposite - the mysterious Ninja Jones to the rescue! To enter the ninja den, we were initiated at its locked door in search of a secret button. However lucky us, the manager who happened to be standing outside exempted us from the test and allowed us an easy passage in. Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh there were ninjas bussing around! Dim lighting and they were dressed in black, I nearly bumped into one head-on.

5 of us were seated in a cave-like room upstairs.Noted the female waitresses were dressed quite boringly compared to the male 'ninjas'. Guys in the group did expect to find suggestive geisha customes clad ones. Too bad boys.

Suggestions made, orders taken and dishes served rather quickly:-

California RollWagyu Ishiyaki Steak. Tender beef seared on hot stone - very good. My favourite of the night.Salmon Sashimi. A never missed order anytime anywhere for 2 of my dining companions.Seafood Papaya Moto-yaki. An interesting version of cheese baked seafood platter served in a papaya bowl. However don't think it's cheese as I did not taste the flavour.Fish cakes. Like a friend commented, the texture is really like marshmallows.

Black Cod Saikyou-yaki. Yummy.Avocado and Soft Shell Crabs. The crab was not evenly distributed among the pieces. Lucky me got the best pieces. Hehehe.Wagyu Saikoro Steak. Tender beef cubes on hot plate. Not bad but the consensus was the hot stone version was way better.Pistachio ice-cream with red beans & Macha with red beans. I forgot to order black sesame which I had not tried before. *Note to self:- next time don't order dessert without going through the menu thoroughly!*Prawn Tempura. An over-exposed picture.Pumpkin TempuraBBQ mushrooms? I totally forgot what's this but the texture did feel like fat mushroom. =PKing Prawn RollCurry Chicken. No hint of spiciness at all but good nonetheless. Would be good to go with rice.Being a newbie fan of Japanese food (hey, I'm still learning to appreciate Salmon Sashimi, 'k.), I dare not venture to comment on the taste or price on my own. A quick check around the table found that my companions have thoroughly enjoyed the meal and environment and plan to return very soon. Hope they'll include me again. And again. And again.

Pockets lighter by:
The address & contact details:-Do note that parking at Northpoint is no hassle as it is still quite empty but it is at an hourly rate. Then again, Midvalley will be charging quite similar rates beginning April too. Bye bye flat rates, hello shorter hours spent there.

39 comments:

Rarebeet said...

I thought you were kidding at first but really ah? Got ninjas huh? Interesting. Damn am really curious now. Haven't been to Isthmus either. Sigh, really so much food, so little stomach. The last time I had papaya motoyaki was at Wasabi in Mandarin Oriental. Think its about the same price. I know what you mean about the cheese sauce. Maybe Japanese cheese is like their curry which is just a hint of the real thing. Oh well, will go check it out!

Tummythoz said...

When the car passed by Northpoint and I saw this name, I thot it was an internet cafe with a comic book character name. Aiya, next trip must ask why this name.

Precious Pea said...

Nice meal and the food looks good too. You guys ordered so much food....wagyu beef, very tempted to try.

Tummythoz said...

Actually the portions were just nice. Just a mention of wagyu, I melt. Drools.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Great pics and the food looks really good! Looks like an interesting concept. Must try very very soon before others discover this place. hehe.

Xiu Long Bao said...

hmm...nvr notice dis place @ midvalley before. Muz go try someday.The presentations of the food look luvly :)

Kok said...

Tummythoz,
You definitely know how to enjoy yourself. About RM100 per person. Hmm, I haven't had such an expensive meal before in M'sia. But yea, Japanese food is supposingly more expensive than other food. And some of the portions I can see are quite small. I would like to try this Ninja Jones. The food looks not bad.

KopiSoh said...

I absolutely love Japanese food, yumm, looks really good, also the cavelike atmosphere looks very cozy as well.

sc said...

the pictures looks lovely! salivating now..hehe. just like xiu long bau, i've never noticed this place when i'm at MV. will check it out the next time i'm there

Tummythoz said...

lyrical lemongrass, go go go.

siu long bao & sc, it's opposite MV, on the ground floor of the completed service suites block.

kok, haha. My most expensive meal todate would shock you. Actually I don't quite believe it myself. RM1,000 per person at Chynna, KL Hilton. It was a business dinner.

firehorse, maybe can hold monthly themes for your kopitiam. Then in this cave-like theme, all patrons carry clubs & wear skin wraps?

fatboybakes said...

ooh, actually a positive review on the place. most of my other friends who've been there have panned it big time. looks good i have to say.

tankiasu said...

Wah....a meal here can really burns a hole...no a crater, in our pocket!!

Anonymous said...

Ninja's den with cave's design concept - that's interesting! I like the Avocado with Soft Shell Crab... I love avocados!

Tummythoz said...

fatboybakes, panned? 0_o" That means good or not?

tankiasu, Jap food is relatively pricier but then again, it may be due to our double order of wagyu beef & salmon.

Btw, do I have to register to post comment in your blog?

jason, noticed most foodies love avocado. I find d taste kind of bitter. Me odd.

tankiasu said...

Yes, you have to be a Xangan in order to post msg. What a shame isn't it? My apology on behalf of the incompetent team at Xanga.com. :P

boo_licious said...

Ah, finally someone has blogged abt this place. I ate here sometime back and was thinking of waiting till I gathered more pixs as I wanted to try their Robata.

Did the ninjas give you yr bill? Some of the wagyu selections are pretty reasonable hence was thinking of trying as the lunch I had was so so only. Heard that the owner is planning to open more outlets.

Kok said...

Tummythoz,
YOU SERIOUS? RM1000 per person! Wah! Have you blogged bout that? If not, what did you eat there which cost you a bomb?

Tummythoz said...

tankiasu, I'll try. Waa.. need to enter b'date as well. Can get pressies-ar? =P

boo_licious, there were ninjas zooming outside the cave/room/cubicle but none came in. We were served by the waitresses.

kok, no picture. Think it'll b quite ridiculous to whip out a camera & pay attention to the spread instead of the people at a business dinner. All those expensive ingredients (abalone, caviar, sharksfin - which I don't take - & many more) in generous portions cooked in time consuming complicated methods (the chef came out & described when each dish was served) with fancy dish names-lor. Sadly, I'm not even an appreciator of 'phat-thui-cheong'. More of a pork mee fan.

fatboybakes said...

tummy, panned means bad lar. however, you've given them hope!!!

Anonymous said...

Tummythoz: Ha.. not odd lar, different people, different taste.

Unknown said...

argh so cute..ninjas serving us food..i wana go!!!! the wagyu beef looks good

Tummythoz said...

fatboybakes, noted.

jason, ;>

kampungboycitygal, there were displays of Samurai swords too but with most of the long blade removed.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as a ninja, equipped with a real samurai sword. Totally irrelevant piece of information, but just felt like telling all. Maybe they'll hire me.

MeiyeN said...

i wanted so much to try this place when i was at isthmus but have yet to free myself to visit this place.... with your review, now i know what to order when i am there... :D

Tummythoz said...

lyrical lemongrass, picture! Picture! Picture! Sounds like lotsa fun.

meiyen, bet u can do more dishes than us.

Anonymous said...

Tummythoz: At first I tot you're saying they using ninja skills to *boom* appear and *boom* disappear, serving food :P

Tummythoz said...

jason, haha. U r like my friend who asked for some coloured smoke appearing/disappearing acts.

Anonymous said...

Ahaa.. that would be amusing. I bet you don't need a door to your dining table if they can really do that!

Anonymous said...

If all the above are before me, I'll wack the wagyu beef first. Looks really good!

Tummythoz said...

pablopabla, me first!

Anonymous said...

YOUR FAULT! I will be hitting this restaurant once I get some $$$ coming in heh... if it ever does. Wagyu beef can die one leh...

Tummythoz said...

paris b, earning USD edi, what's d prob "sap-sap-sui-lar"!

Melting Wok said...

hehehe, tenchu serving sushis to tummy, stomach no growling no more..ngam ngam ehehe, man, love tt cod fish !!

Anonymous said...

WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN EVEN IF IT IS THE LAST JAPANESE RESTAURNT ON EARTH!!!
We just had our worst dining experience there. The Restaurant Manager Danny Lai is only interested to sell you the most expensive items on the menu. iF YOU DON'T ORDER THE SNOW CRAB OR KOBE BEEF, YOU CAN KISS HIS SERVICE GOOD-BYE AND ALSO THE INITIAL SO-CALLED DISCOUNT HE OFFERED INITIALLY. A VERY BAD REPRESENTATION AND CANT BELIEVE THE OWNER LEFT THE RUNNING OF THE RESTAURANT IN SUCH INCAPABLE HANDS.

DO NOT GET EXCITED WITH THEIR WELCOME MESSAGES.

WE DO NOT REALLY KNOW HOW THE OWNER CAN EMPLOY SUCH RESTAURANT MANAGER. GOOD LUCK!!

Tummythoz said...

disappointed, guess that's what u are - incredibly disappointed. Sorry you had a bad time there.

pj said...

hehehe
ninja sounds fun

Food Promotions said...

It's a nice place to dine :D
I would like to invite all of you to foodpromotions.blogspot.com to find out the promotions Ninja Jones is having now :)

oLive said...

i've heard alot of blogger said that got ninjas around to serve the customer! is that really ah? woah~~~ i wan go try it out liao lar!! mouth watering now already!!

Unknown said...

Starving already when I saw this. I wanna go there and have some taste. I hope more dishes to serve.

increase my instagram followers

Locations of visitors to this page