Monday, November 05, 2007

Penang......more food.

Lorong Selamat – Char Kuey Teow and Ice Kacang.

Now, back to Penang. On our second day, we decided to head to Lorong Selamat for some hawker food. In Penang, the usual suspects are Char Kuey Teow, Cendol and Ice Kacang.

This Char Kuey Teow is indeed one of a kind. Why? The lady who does the frying wears industrial goggles to protect her eyes from the “emissions”. Cool.... We aren’t talking about radioactive emissions here but I’m sure you would try your best to avoid the smog from a char kuey teow stall failing which, your hairdo will smell deliciously of char kuey teow at least until your second hair wash. The queue was LONG too, lasting for almost 20 minutes before I could get my plate. Still, it turned out great with its strong aroma, big-succulent prawns and flavourful taste. This experience has made my subsequent char kuey teows rather pale.
Tummy rating: 9.5/10

From the same restaurant, I ordered a bowl of ice kacang while waiting. This came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it and instead of “gula melaka”, they used “sarsi” syrup to sweeten it. I last had this type of ice kacang when I was a kid back in KL, so long ago that I can’t even recall when and where I had it. It’s good to know that this is still available, and believe me, my first spoonful of this really turned the time back on me. Be that as it may, I still fancy the regular ice kacang with gula melaka instead of this. Perhaps a longer stay in Penang may change my preference. Went well with the plate of hot and spicy char kuey teow.

Tummy rating: 8.0/10

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, not you too! I just came over from wmw's blog. I want 'siu yeh'. The kueh teow looks so, so....slurppp....excuse me, I just dribbled!

The ice kacang is just nice, not overdone with too much unnecessary ingredients. Sigh!

Christina Kim said...

Wondering why is everyone on the Penang Food craze lately..hehe:)
How do you find the ice kacang here? I didn't really liked it...tried nicer ones elsewhere:D

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

That's it. It's gonna be CKT for lunch today. Love those huge slices of lup cheong. :-P

MeiyeN said...

i remember that me and my fiance took turns to queue for this "char keow teow" damn long queue!!!!!! come to think of it, what an experience lol..

Anonymous said...

Really confused where to get nice CKT in Penang nowadays.

Anonymous said...

The Lorong Selamat Char Koay Teow need self service one...

Fezzaboy said...

My trip to Penang was only for 2 reasons: food and rest.

Wow, Lyrical, so how was your lunch?

I too don't quite fancy this ice kacang... some more RM4 per bowl mien.....pretty ex lor...

New Kid on the Blog said...

Lorong Selamat CKT very sombong one leh!!!!
I think I like Ah Leng CKT

Big Boys Oven said...

We love Penang CKT!

wmw said...

Penang food! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Really boggled why everyone must try the sisters' koay teow.. It is certainly good, but not the best in Penang. And the price is killing

My preference of ais kacang is with sarsi syrup lol, I hate the one with gula melaka, it's too sweet

Looks like Penang taste and KL taste are really different ;)

Hope you enjoyed ur time in Penang

Fezzaboy said...

Oh i certainly enjoyed my stay in Penang.. and yes, this CKT is indeed expensive.

Taste wise, well i guess the old cliche that different people have different taste buds applies here.

Ti said...

kuey tiow always good... Yumm,

Anonymous said...

Oh so hot in KL today, I want to have that ice kacang now pls!!!

Locations of visitors to this page