Monday, August 25, 2008

NON-fried Fried Vermicelli (Bee Hoon)

“Should not miss this”

“ Must not miss this”

Again

Step right up folks. Yessirree! You’ve read right. NO frying to produce this:-I swear (It seems to be the current 'in' thing to do) on my heaviest cookbook.

Ingredients:-

1) Stock soup. Mine was pre-prepared and kept refrigerated for many uses. Otherwise, just dissolve stock cubes in water. Or small cheap RM0.70 (maybe less) premixes paste like this.

2) Bottled Tomato sauce or Chilli sauce or Sambal Udang Kering. Again this is something I would prepare in bulk and kept refrigerated.

3) Mixed vegetables. My fridge only held some leftover Chinese cabbage and 1 stick of carrot.Larder empty. Think most of you would have mushrooms and many other greens. Just add whatever you fancy. Meat if affordable, would be very good.

4) A bundle of Dry strands of bihun or vermicelli (replaceable by any types of noodles). For dry noodles, rinse under running water to rid probable dust and dirt. DO NOT soak until soft.

Method:-

  • Easy step A
    Pour Stock with ingredients 2. into wok. Do add in the meat (if any) to cook here. Fire up until boil.

  • Easy step B
    Put in 3. and salt or sugar to taste.

  • Easy step C:-
    Add 4. Stir to mix well until dry. If the dry noodles were soften beforehand, the final product may turn gooey, no?

  • Serve.

In the spirit of our beloved country’s Independence Day, I have opted for a most economical tummy filling dish. After all, as Malaysians (no home in China), I believe I must make an effort to adopt our oh-so practical National Campaign since a majority of proud Malaysians would not have elected a high flying nincompoop to rule and govern right?

Okay, maybe some think it’s irrelevant today as lo and behold, our country’s fixed petrol price had unexpectedly flipped earlier than the date announced. Hey, no political manouvering this. Just another act by a considerate authority to give back to its loyal citizens.

Oh I digressed. Back to why my dish is kept economical (especially in comparison to my celebration last year). Other than the fact the reduced percentage compared to the June increase is negligible, chances of calling (especially by our wise and considerate government) for traders to lower their prices in line with the reduction in commodities will flop.

H a p p y M e r d e k a M al a y s i a n s.

Look, Babe, I finally made it this year!

17 comments:

Ciki said...

a really ingenious way of cooking noodles! non fried - healthy and good

backStreetGluttons said...

well done good Malaysian !

looks fried but surely it ain't

rokh said...

wow that is so creative! oh no i better make something soon!

Anonymous said...

I love my meehoon dry, really dry... and spicy! Me likey a lot! :D

Babe_KL said...

well done! well done! sum more way ahead of the finishing line :p thanks for participating ;-)

Anonymous said...

So the meehoon actually soaked all the gravy? Wah, must be really flavourful!

daphne said...

U make fried noodles look soo good! Love that presentation. I'm so so drooling over this.

Shell (貝殼) said...

looks easy & nice ~~must CIY(cook it myself) tis weekend

Little Inbox said...

Oh, no need to fry ya...
Hmm...learn new way of cooking this. :)

BTW, I've added you to my link.

Hazza said...

I use that perenchah meehoon goreng occassionally. Great tasting too!

Tummythoz said...

cumi & ciki, no instant flavourings then it'll be healthier. Other words, don't be lazy like me.

backstreetgluttons, TQ dear countrymen.

rokh, I'm faster than a habitual cook? *pat self*

life for beginners, me likey more if cooked, served & washed up by others. :)

*extend right shoulder to be patted by babe_kl*

jason, of course! Must have confidence in own cooking. Ahem.

Tummythoz said...

daphne, you are too kind.

shell, do a show & tell, k.

little inbox, TQ. Long time I've not 'clean up' my sidebar.

Tummythoz said...

hazza, I stock up on its perencah nasi goreng udang too.

wmw said...

I love beehoon, fried or non-fried! :o)

Tummythoz said...

wmw, as much as chee cheong fun?

jackson, me proud to be a high flyer makan connoiseur like you! hapi holiday, fellow Malaysian.

Babe_KL said...

oppsie daisie... sorry for missing you out. i remember reading in your blog but i created my round up with the email submissions. old liau, memory failing :p did you send me any email?

Tummythoz said...

babe_kl, my bad. I did not follow up with an email to you. =P

Locations of visitors to this page